Welcome CMP Students

Please check the instructions for your first assignment.

ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ms. Fitz's Quote


One of Ms. Fitz's Favorite Quotes
Several days ago, Veronica commented on my "upbeat" attitude in class. I briefly shared with you the first several lines of one of my favorite teaching quotes. The entire quote is shown below.
“I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a [student's] life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a [student] humanized or de-humanized.” Dr. Haim Ginott

I strive to live by this quote every day. It is the central focus of my teaching philosophy. During my teaching career, I have had many opportunities to work with, be instructed by, and observe other instructors. It was the teachers with charisma that impressed me the most. Even if I was having a bad day, just being around them lifted my mood. One of my colleagues that I admired the most had a desk plaque engraved with this particular quote from Dr. Haim Ginott. She stated that she would come into school each day and look at that plaque for inspiration.
If I have learned anything in life it is this - Each of us has the ability to control our own "weather". Since my "weather" affects many of you, I prefer to be a sunshine moment in your day, not a hailstorm that beats you down.
Ms. Fitz

4 comments:

PotatoHead said...

I really liked the quote you chose Ms. Fitz and I think I need to follow it ALOT more because lately I have been so crabby I seem to make others crabby as well.

Tammy said...

You are a shining star. I know that everyday when I walk into your classroom that you will be ready to take on another 30 students with a smiling face and positive attitude. Thanks

Veronica said...

I know when I walk in your room for class and I look in your face my mood seems to change and I feel better about myself. You really do make a difference. Thanks

Terri Herrod said...

I wish more instructors had the outlook as you do. I learn so much in your classes and its because you are dedicated to your work. We need more instructors like you.